The wind was so strong in the morning that I didn't want a big fire, although there was plenty of free driftwood/firewood at the site. Also, the wind kept most of the heat from getting up to the grating, so I held the eggs down on the fire, and we had a tasty breakfast.

Today was fixit day, and here I am holding the fender trim for 15 minutes while the 5-minute epoxy sets.
Second fixit task: Airbed. My overly sensitive hearing is usually a disadvantage, but it pays off in the leak-finding department, and I was able to locate the pinprick leak on the side of the airbed. I'm not sure what made the hole. The PVC cement and duct tape repaired it in short order.The next order of business was to visit Lindsborg, Kansas, a town devoted to Swedish stuff. Lena had been looking forward to this since it was recommended to us by someone on the bike forum.
Unfortunately, the place was a little depressing because, due to the recession, it was deserted. This shot shows the ghost-town-like atmosphere.
The food was about 70% authentic, but good in any case. We had Swedish pancakes and, for lunch, meatballs and sill.
It was a pretty long haul to our next stop, Arrow Rock, Kansas. At least it felt that way because we had a really strong side wind, and were starting to get some rain. The rain began about ten miles short of Arrow Rock, and Lena was starting to use the "M" word ("Motel"). The rain stopped, but it felt like a huge storm was about to hit.When we got to the campground, I wanted to set up the tent immediately while Lena registered with the camp host. The problem was that the host talked like Larry the Cable Guy, and he and Lena couldn't understand one another very well. So I had to translate.
Things turned out fine, and I got the tent up quickly, and waited for the rain, which never came.
This shot shows how well the airbed fits in the tent.
The campground was very nice, with lush grass and free showers. There were only two other campers. We had a Subway sandwich (purchased earlier) for dinner then read our books.

We fell asleep expecting a symphony of thunder, but it was peaceful all night. And the airbed stayed inflated.
I have no clue who you are, but I'm really enjoying your trip! Dude, you're so lucky to have a woman who can travel light, camp out, and otherwise enjoy life without spending big $. I envy you.
ReplyDeleteThey call 'em low maintenance and they're keepers for sure!
ReplyDeleteAl and Lena - glad to see you're enjoying the trip and have encountered some of those mishaps you were hoping for. The tent does indeed look comfy. I wish those air mattresses were light enough for a bike tour - looks great. Have fun and keep 'em comin.
ReplyDeleteGary
Very entertaining !!
ReplyDelete